- New pope is Argentina’s Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the former archbishop of Buenos Aires, who takes the name Pope Francis.
- Francis, 76, is the first non-European pope in the modern era, the first South American pope and the first Pope Francis.
- Election comes on first full day of the cardinals’ conclave in the Sistine Chapel.
- New pope, who succeeds Pope Benedict XVI, asks crowd to pray for him.
- Updates below; full story; Bergoglio profile; name “most stunning”; iReport.com: Your views?; Photos from the Vatican
[Updated at 6:25 p.m. ET] That will wrap up our live blog of Francis’ debut. For more coverage, check out the links above and read our full story.
[Updated at 5:52 p.m. ET] When Pope Francis is formally installed in a Mass later this month, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden will be there, leading the U.S. delegation to the…
View original post 2,243 more words